Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Photo of the Day - Stone Wall

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast." ~ Robert Frost, Mending Wall


My mom loves Frost's poems, which is probably why I have a fascination for stone walls to this day.  I have been photographing them in the Hudson Valley since I was a teenager.  This one does not separate a farmer's fields, but probably framed an early garden.

You build a wall one stone at a time, just like book.  Stone by stone.  Word by word.  Sometimes those words even seem as heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Earth Day 2024

  As a naturalist, environmental educator, and journalist, I can't avoid celebrating Earth Day's purpose and mission. I appreciate t...