Friday, June 29, 2018

Environmental Issues - Past and Present

I wrote this in my journal while writing KEEPING OUR EARTH GREEN, August 26, 2007. It was one of the most difficult books to write because it highlighted every environmental issue we were facing at that time and what kids could do in response. I was delving deep into each issue every day. Some days were excruciating.  It led me to journal some of my thoughts.


As I sit hour after hour working on the E-Science book, I am overwhelmed with the environmental issues facing our planet. I haven't felt this overwhelmed since I was a teen. Each issue brings its own set of challenges and I try my best to write this book with a sprinkle of hope throughout each section. 

I do not want kids to pick this up and feel a sense of hopelessness. I want to move them to action - empower them to make a difference. 

In the back of my mind, I am repeatedly reminded of the ancient trees. They bring me constant inspiration and hope for the future. Why is it that in these last days of summer, in the midst of all that I have to do I cannot get my mind away from old trees? 

They constantly amaze me. I think of all they've seen, all who have seen them, and how many will see them for years to come, and I am amazed. 

Our lives, our random lives, are but a minute to them. Our overwhelming issues are just a hiccup in their lives.



It's ten years since that book was released and those issues are still with us. Who would have believed that we'd have even more?

Overwhelmed doesn't begin to describe how I feel about our environment these days.

But, I'm still writing. And I'm still trying to bring hope to my readers. And I still think of those trees -- their longevity, survival, and the challenges they face,  keeps me writing on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Galapagos Books and News

      Visiting the Galapagos Islands to research Back from the Brink was one of my favorite research trips. When I was a budding naturalist...